Tahlequah Area Habitat for Humanity (TAHFH) accepts applications for homeowner and home repair partners. Homeowners are selected based on three criteria:
(1) Applicant’s level of need.
(2) Willingness to partner with Habitat.
(3) Ability to repay a mortgage through an affordable payment plan. Potential homeowners must meet income guidelines, be a US Citizen or Legal Resident, have credit of 640 or better and not be a registered sex offender. Homes must be built in Cherokee County, Oklahoma.
In collaboration with the USDA, TAHFH helps potential homeowners apply for an affordable, low-interest mortgage through the USDA’s Rural Development program. Habitat’s home buyers invest hundreds of hours of their own labor, called "sweat equity," as they work alongside volunteers and other Habitat homeowners to help build their own homes. No profit is charged for building the house. TAHFH holds workshops annually to select Habitat homeowners.
- Be a resident of Cherokee County for at least one year
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Legal U.S. Resident
- Have steady employment and be able to pay back a mortgage for homeownership
- If we are building a house, be willing to accept a house on a lot owned by TAHFH, or own suitable land for house building that is paid for with a clear title
- Meet HUD low-income guidelines
- Be willing to apply for a USDA low interest mortgage (TAHFH will help you fill out the forms)
- Earn enough to pay back a home mortgage if applying for homeownership, without consuming more than 29% of your income (that amount varies depending on the house size for which you qualify)
- If you are applying for homeownership, be willing to partner and work closely with TAHFH to help build your house
- If you are applying for a home repair, you must be the homeowner and occupant of the house
Applications can be picked up at the TAHFH Office at 816 S. College Avenue (corner of College Avenue and First Street). Assistance is available for those needing help with the application process.
For additional information or to attend one of our Applicant Orientation Meetings, please call 918.453.1332.